Saturday, March 20, 2010

Long Way Gone: 4

Page 199, Ishmael.

"I am from Sierra Leone, and the problem that is affecting us children is the war that forces us to run away from our homes, lose our families, and aimlessly roam the forests. As a result, we get involved in the conflict as soldiers, carriers of loads, and in many other difficult tasks. All this is because of starvation, the loss of our families, and the need to feel safe and be part of something when all else has been broken down. I joined the army really because of the loss of my family and starvation. I wanted to avenge the deaths of my family. I also had to get some food to survive, and the only way to do that was to be part of the army. It was not easy being a soldier, but we just had to do it. I have been rehabilitated now, so don't be afraid of me. I am not a soldier anymore; I am a child. "

Ishmael went from fearing and running from the rebels, to needing and depending to be in the army, then peaceful remembrance on what it is to be human. Then he runs right back into what he ran from, and what he became addicted to once again. This time both the army and the RUF, working against him to the point where he is trapped.

Ishmael doesn't is just trying to educate people. He tells everyone the darkest parts of his life, from the deepest parts of his heart. I think it was really good of him to do it.

Why do you think it was possible for Ishmael to like being a soldier in the first place?

Page 209: Line 25, Ishmael.

"I'll let you know where I end up."

Ishmael's journey wasn't easy. But the hard part wasn't getting into America, it was getting out of Sierra Leon. He didn't know exactly where his journey would end.

I'm not sure exactly what this shows about Ishmael. Ishmael is brave. He daring to go out and try to become freed from the war. But at the same time only he is getting out, I feel like maybe he just left everyone else behind to rot.

Did Ishmael leave the people behind? What do you think that says about him?

1 comment:

Marques blog said...

There was 3 reasons why Ishmael became a soldier. He needed food because he was starving. He wanted to avenge the rebels. He wanted to be protected. Ishmael realizes the struggles within himself about being a soldier and wanting to be a young boy.

However, it was the way of life in Sierra Leone. Although, he had to be a soldier or be killed. Deep down his heart belong to being a child. So it was easy for him to transition back into a boy again. Even though some people were reluctant of fear that Ishmael was a soldier. He reassured people by reminding them, that he was still a child.