Thursday, March 4, 2010

Long Way Gone: 2

Page 56: Line 29, an old man with no name.

"I will not be alive to see the end of this war. So, to save a place in your memories for other things, I won't tell you my name. If you survive this war, just remember me as the old men you met. You boys should be on your way."

This is another example of the hardships of the land Ishmael came from. There is an old man with rebels on the way, that has been left behind because he could not walk and the people could not carry him. He is, in a way, waiting for death.

But he is not bitter of the people for leaving, he is not sad. But he helps the boys the best way he can and tries to save the lives of as many people as possible, before accepting his own fate. This man faces the hardest hardship ever, death, but he bears it. Because, it is best for others.

Do you think it is wrong for the towns people to leave the old man? Would you be bitter if you were left?(Be honest![you know you would be])

Page 70: Line 13, Saidu.

"Every time people come at us with the intention of killing us, I close my eyes and wait for death. Even though I am still alive, I feel like each time I accept death, part of me dies. Very soon I will completely die and all that will be left is my empty body walking with you. It will be quieter than I am."

This probably is the most obvious reason why Ishmael came to America. Well, all the reasons are obvious. But this really struck me as to what it felt like, and how horrible they really felt. They literally felt like they were dying.

Saidu really pops out as a character. Before he had never been heard from. He was quite and you never really heard from him. Then he said this, and you understood why. He went through things that couldn't be left behind or forgotten, and it killed him.

Have you ever felt like you could die?

No comments: