Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lord of the Flies: Chapter 2


Lord of the Flies
Chapter 2 - Fire on the Mountain
"Just a Bunch of Kids"
Perspective: Piggy

There just a bunch of kids they are, playing a game. This is not a game, it's real life, and we have to fight to survive. Now all the fire wood is gone, along with most of our chances to signal a ship. This island is useless, its hot all the wood is dead, and the beastie is roaming the forest. Then it turns into the tendrils of creepers, so we can't confirm it doesn't exist, and now we've lost the birth mark boy, lost him to the forest, lost him to the fire, lost him to the beastie, so he can't even speak for his visions. I hope we get rescued soon, because I don't know if Ralph can keep leading them, keep leading these kids. But I'm not sure how, I think we just have to tough it through, and make sure we last. The future is inscrutable, but as long as we keep to the rules, and we think everything through, we should be okay.

I brought the conch I did, to the top of the mountain, I brought order. What'd they do? They stole my specs, I couldn't to anything, could hardly see my hand I could. Used my specs to start a fire, used the fire to burn down the mountain. I told them what they'd done, me with the conch in hand, but no one listens to me, no one listens to Piggy. But as soon as Ralph says the word, they stare is rapt attention.

I'm the only one with any sense left. I'm the only one that successfully resisted the compulsion of this , they've all gone wild, they've all become savage. Even Ralph, the one I chose to be a leader. He told me to shut up, and never shows a sign of him being contrite. As I sleep I can't help myself, I dream of the island. Of the boat that will bring us home. All we have to do is stick to the conch. But already the law unfolds.

No comments: