Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lord of the Flies: Chapter 3

Lord of the Flies
Chapter 3 - The Huts on the Beach
"Shelter from the Beast"
Perspective: Ralph

They all run off, the littl'uns. I'm left here to build the huts, just me and Simon. Jack's hunters come back empty handed, they go to bathe, Jack comes back and doesn't say anything about our hard work. No one works, they talk about it with serious faces, we'll build shelters, we'll build jet planes, then they run off. I wish some of them were officious instead of the errant beings they've become. With all the work left to me, the vicissitudes of the job are starting to get to me, and I know Jack wants to be chief, that's why we can't seem to get along. But he doesn't care about the littl'uns he doesn't listen to their screaming at night, it softens my heart to hear them when they're martyred. But once the shelters are built, the nightmares should abate. Still, I'm beinging to think Jack only cares for himself, not even himself sometimes, since he seems to have to wish to be rescued. He only s for his kill, his bloody victory. We don't even need meat, theres no need for death, but he continues his trek. It makes me angry, the greatest need on this islands is obviously the need to get off the island, but he lets his hunters slack off when they're tending the fire.
Of course then there's Simon who never has to be induced to help, but at the same time will wander off without a word. Still as the only one to help build the tents, Simon is useful. But he's the only one, we won't be able to last out the year, not without good workers.

No comments: