Monday, September 14, 2009

Lord of the Flies: Chapter 1

Lord of the Flies
Chapter One: The Sound of the Shell

“Why is it so hot?”

By Simon



It happened so fast, all the sudden to find myself on the island. If someone had told me before that I would be stranded on an island I would have told them that was incredulous. But somehow I am. I’m not sure what happened one second we were in the plane then the plane was on the ground and we had to scramble out. Good thing, the choir stayed together, who knows what would have happened if Jack hadn’t been there to direct us. But he’s always being so negative, and controlling, even on this beautiful island, the clear water, but while the trees are so tall and the fronds protect us from the sun, it’s still so hot and Jack won’t let us take off our togs not even our stupid hambone frills. He doesn’t like me I think, he would never give me a hand, it’s always “Get up Simon!” Never a, “Are you okay?”


So I’m glad he wasn’t made leader, because I think the boy Ralph seems nice enough, he invited me to go explore with him. He seems like he’d make a good leader. Plus he has the conch, and the conch has the power to bring us all together, which is good since we would never have been able to see who else was on the island is the conch wasn’t there to signal us. I'm glad we heard the conch, while being under Jack is great and all, it's better with Ralph. I remember the happiness that swelled in my chest when we heard the horn and Jacks said there was a man with a blow horn, but all it was was a boy with a shell, and now we know we're all alone. So now we’re going to be hunters, all of us in the choir. But I don’t know how much longer all of us are going to listen to Jack, Ralph gave Jack the choir, but the choir didn't say that we'd obey him, we’ll have to make our own decisions of who we’re going to follow.


From what I saw from on top of the mountain this island is pretty glamorous, but even though it's wild, there are creepers everywhere. Creepers, trees, and pigs. Only us boys from the plane here, and I don’t think I’ll ever see that pilot again if the plane went into the ocean, so no adults. There's no protection from the sun it's so hot here, I almost fainted, well I did, but only for a second.

No comments: